Thursday, November 13, 2008

"I did not begin when I was born, nor when I was conceived. I have been growing, developing, through incalculable myriads of millenniums… All my previous selves have their voices, echoes, promptings in me… Oh, incalculable times again shall I be born."
- Jack London


Treasuring time is a project that has evolves into an abstract complex brief where the representation of a moment in time has been requested to be represented by our design.
A moment in time as an episode in our life was the way how I saw this project. The idea to represent physically a feeling was quite the challenge because all the ways I could think about evoking nostalgic feelings was through smells, music & flavors. To come to an end I decided to recall an abstract moment in our life, a point that has many meanings & understandings. Working on my design, I want to reproduce a shape that would represent this moment in life according to my belief & that other people will identify themselves with this object & its meaning.

I choose the moment in time that represents death & birth or possibly the relation that one depends on the other. The time in life that we know happened when we were born, the time that we know will come & for that particular time I follow the ideology that death means rebirth or in other words: reincarnation. Studying the ways how different cultures see the time of the end of our life I came along the understanding that religion is always aiming into a cycle or that particular answer that when we die we will reach a next level, a new state. This cycle of reincarnation doesn’t matter if it comes in karma, the Holy Spirit or just a change of a physical body is always that step in between the end (death) & the star (birth).

My design came along a elegant shape that evolved around a vase, I though of water as one of our main needs for life & slowly I sketched & re-sketched & finally hit the idea of a cycle that represented the growth of life, the evolution in our wisdom & the downfall of aging towards the end of our life & that moment that the end.

With a simple leaf shape I fount the elegance I was looking for a simple leaf cut that would fold into a double based vase.





At the stage of mock-ups I found the basic shaped structure that I wanted to pursue & balanced with elegance & a well based theory. After working my way through sketching & mock-up stage I had to make it real. Foam was a fir glance to achieve a final product but the weight property wasn’t even close to what I need. Wood was a long shot because of the complexity if the structure & a metal sheet seemed to sterile to represent something so meaningful.




At this stage I took a big risk & opted to work with gesso & a wire frame that offered me the best approach for my shape. I did the shape I was looking for but the falls of experimentation & limited time cost the elegance I wanted to achieve with the surface finish. The gesso worked but didn’t formed that smooth surface as I was trying to achieve & the color pick was indented to represent nature & its nurturing perfection.

As we see here the elegant shape holds the vase in a perfect three support points. The flat end works as the main base of the vase & it symbolizes the trance of death followed by the small but growing curled line of life.


The vase can hold two litters of water (or any given liquid) & suits open spaces with natural environments or backgrounds.

3 comments:

Andrew Cook said...

i really like the aspect of time u decided to capture, the life cylce and death and birth. i really like ur concept and it is represented well through your sketches. i think it is a great response to the brief and also interesting in form. the finish could have been cleaner but u did great with the time and materials u had well done

Ben Kagan said...

I can really envision your product and if produced correctly i can see it being a very beautiful object to keep around the house.

Very nice concept of time, fits in very well with the brief.

Fantastic work phil. Hope to see more work of this quality in the future.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your developed thoughts and researched ideals about the concept of time and its relevance to life and death. However, unfortunately i don't think your final product accurately represents your intended concept. Your devlopment process of playing with the structure and form of the leaf shape is really interesting but i believe your final choice of material for the product didn't allow you to accurately represent the smooth, delicate features of time (or a leaf). I think wood would have been a fabulous material to explore as you could play with the directions of the wood grain to create visual affects on the outside of the vase. Also your final chosen shape is quite abstract, so maybe try using colors that don't identify with a leaf to keep with that theme. But overall, your chosen concept and development process were well thought out and explored.